Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Have a Magical Day"

About a month ago I was in Disney World on vacation with my family. One day I had to return to the room to participate in a few conference calls, so the plan was that I would go to the Animal Kingdom park with everyone, run back to the room in the middle of the day, and catch back up when I was done. It was a solid plan, and it actually worked pretty well. What we didn't expect, though, was that about an hour and a half before I had to be back in the room, the skies opened up. It poured! Everyone was completely soaked. But, I still left everyone there at the appointed time and started back to the room.

Of course, I continued to get drenched on the walk to the bus stop. Then all of the buses were running late because it was raining so hard. When I got back to the room - about ten minutes before my first call - I opened the door and it was freezing. The air conditioning, of course, had been set as though it was going to be the typical 100 degree day. In any event, I was not particularly happy.

I had to call the front desk for something - I don't even remember what. What I do remember is that at the very end of the call, the clerk said "Have a Magical Day." I hung up and kind of laughed. Magical? If I didn't get pneumonia or melt in the humidity that would almost certainly exist if it ever stopped raining and the sun came out again, I would consider myself lucky. I couldn't imagine "magical." But later on, I thought about it again. In fact, it was a Magical Day. I caught back up with my family, all of whom were happy despite being soaked, we had a great dinner together and everyone was happy just being together and playing together.

I've thought about it a lot since then, too. What a great idea - trying to help someone have a Magical Day. What if a bunch of us tried to make someone's day Magical? It doesn't take a lot, it could just be sending a note to a friend, calling someone you haven't talked to in a while, complimenting a stranger on the elevator or just telling them that you hope they have a great day. It may just brighten their day that little bit, it may be what they needed right then, it may even encourage them to do the same for someone else.

As Paul said, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. . . . Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:22-23, 25

Let's try to "keep in step with the Spirit." I hope that you have a Magical Day and that you try to bring a little bit of Magic into someone else's day, too.

No comments: