Saturday, January 17, 2009

Remarkable

Just a quick post this morning - something I have been wanting to share with others for a few days now, but I just haven't had a chance to log on and type it out - kind of a follow-up to an earlier post.

A few weeks ago I posted about the end of my former law firm as a result of a merger. I shared what made it special to me and some thoughts about the path forward. Well, all of that was emphasized to me again this week.

On Wednesday one of our long time employees (I think it is something like seventeen years) and his wife hosted lunch for everyone in the office. Chicken, ribs, cornbread, sides, salad, chocolate cake, fresh-baked pie, cheese cake . . . . There were decorations and there was music playing. It was awesome.

Teddy works in what we call Office Services. He delivers mail, takes care of office supplies, moves stuff around, gets packages and the mail out, etc. I don't know what we pay him, but it is not as if he is a partner. Yet, he and his wife, in celebration, hosted the lunch I described above for a group of at least 50 people. In these economic times, with everything that is going on, they wanted to share some of their blessings with all of us.

I was impressed (and full!), but I also was very humbled. Teddy spoke for a few moments while everyone was eating and said that this was something that they wanted to do out of love. I was reminded of a lot, and learned a lot, by sharing in that remarkable meal.

While it doesn't exactly fit the point of this post, but it is related. I leave this morning with the following:

"Never let loyalty and kindness leave you! Tie them around your neck as a reminder. Write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will earn a good reputation." Proverbs 3:3-4 (NLT)

No comments: